Monday, May 18, 2009

Effectiveness of modern video game themes

Most of us enjoy the theme songs of games like Super Mario Bros. with it's snappy MIDI lines and the hollow chants of Halo even if we might not like the games at all. Besides the original content, we got those license like hits. Coming from a non-developer or non-orchestrated background, these songs are a hit or miss.

One example is "Still Alive" by Lisa Miskovsky featured in the parkour based game, Mirror's Edge. After listening to the chorus which was the first time I heard of the song at any form, it felt like some pretty solid spiritual journey just for that part. But as I heard the full song, my interest plummeted to pretty much a 1/10 score format because it then sounded like a big f-ing cash-in to appeal music listeners who never bother to look around for better musicians. But what can you expect from a pop song? Nothing really, there is the easily appealing parts with the verse-chorus-bridge structure that doesn't seem very captivating in my view especially after listening to different kinds of music for a while although the chorus matches with game's setting in one sense but trying to apply that in the other department, it feels like a miss.

I then look at Vader's "Sword of The Witcher" featured in the game The Witcher. Although taking place in a more primitive setting than the thundering death metal the German headbangers deliver, it matches the violence factor of the game by a great amount because the game is rated M and people in the pass have been complaining. Lyrically it relate to the universe of The Witcher which is a necessary plus for that. I can't say anymore but this is a proper use of a unconventional theme song done solidly.

Maybe I am just blabbering nonsense because I IS METHULZ 4 LYFE but I also listen to other stuff like post-rock, jazz, and other forms of music. It just has to sound good, but everyone has an opinion so it will vary but when I feel that the spirit devoted to the song seems very hollow or full, I make my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment